Hello everyone,

Suppose that I am defining a function which embeds a surface (manifold) in $\mathbb{R}^3$.

Is there a standard symbol or letter that is used for this function?

Additionally, is there any other classical or standard notation (such as the hooked arrow for inclusion maps) of which I ought to be aware?



  • 3
    $\begingroup$ Most embeddings I've met were called a lower case Roman letter between $e$ and $k$. As far as arrows, I prefer $\hookrightarrow$ for an embedding and $\looparrowright$ for an immersion, but you sometimes also see $\subset$ for an embedding and $\subseteq$ for an immersion. $\endgroup$ – Mark Grant Aug 13 '12 at 12:30

I usually use $\iota$ (\iota) for all kinds of embeddings.


No, there is none.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Thanks Dox, I hadn't run into anything obviously standard in the literature, but I wanted to ask before I put it in my thesis! $\endgroup$ – Christopher Aug 15 '12 at 0:00
  • $\begingroup$ You're welcome! (even if mine contribution was useless) $\endgroup$ – Dox Aug 15 '12 at 1:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.