I've heard $E$ is for entire space, $B$ is for base space, so what is $M$ for?

  • $\begingroup$ No clue, manifold? $\endgroup$ – Fernando Muro Apr 6 '12 at 10:04
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I reckon E is not for "entire space", but for "étalé space" (étalé means "spread out"). $\endgroup$ – Malte Apr 6 '12 at 11:44
  • $\begingroup$ Thom uses notation such as $M(SO(n))$ for the Thom space in his original papers, e.g., Quelques propriétés globales des variétés différentiables. Comment. Math. Helv. 28, (1954). 17–86. So presumably he is responsible for that notation. $\endgroup$ – Charles Rezk Apr 6 '12 at 12:36
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ $T$ was already taken for tangent bundle, so $M$ is a pretty good 2nd fiddle. $\endgroup$ – Ryan Budney Apr 6 '12 at 19:38
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ It seems that the earliest use is in Thom's paper: archive.numdam.org/article/SB_1951-1954__2__271_0.pdf $\endgroup$ – John Klein Apr 6 '12 at 21:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.