MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Perhaps this is not an appropriate question for MO, but having just discovered this site I wanted to ask it.

Is there a rigorous definition as to what "a quantization" of a Hamiltonian dynamical system actually is? I have never been satisfied with the answers my physicist friends have told me. The kind of answer I have in mind is something "a right inverse to the map which sends a $\Psi$DO to its principal symbol".

share|cite|improve this question
See also Weyl quantization ( and geometric quantization ( – Steve Huntsman Feb 18 '11 at 20:59
For Geometric quantization the first reference is Souriau's book "Structure des Systèmes Dynamiques" for french readers, translated in english "Structure of Dynamical Systems"… – Patrick I-Z Feb 18 '11 at 22:46
Except for in certain contexts, the answer is "no" to whether there is a universal rigorous definition: quantization is an art, not a functor ( Rather, there are lots of special cases --- say, from Poisson manifolds to Hilbert spaces --- where you can make precise statements. There is more to be said, but for your question so far I think it's well-covered by op. cit. and questions/6200/. So I'm voting to close as duplicate for now. If it is closed, please revise and flag for moderator attention if you better distinguish this question from earlier ones. – Theo Johnson-Freyd Feb 18 '11 at 22:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.