(As suggested, this is a repost from math.stackexchange.com.)

For a sequence of positive integers $a_1, \ldots, a_n$ and a base ring $R$ there is a graded ring $R[x_1,\ldots, x_n]$ where $x_i$ is in degree $a_i$. We can then apply Proj and get a scheme, and this is usually called a weighted projective space; if all of the $a_i$ are 1, then the resulting scheme really is projective space.

However, the way that this arises is as the quotient of $\mathbb{A}^n \setminus 0$ by an action of the multiplicative group, given by $(x_1,\ldots,x_n) \simeq (\lambda^{a_1} x_1, \ldots, \lambda^{a_n} x_n)$ for all $\lambda$. This is a "coarse" group quotient.

There is an alternative version where one instead takes the associated quotient stack/orbifold, and this has a number of nice properties (including possession of a line bundle $\mathcal{O}(1)$); this is true more generally of a graded ring.

It seems that most people associate "weighted projective space" with the scheme-theoretic notion. What is the appropriate terminology for the stack-theoretic version of this construction?


1 Answer 1


A google search for "weighted projective stack" currently yields 275 documents, many of which are quite legitimate.

  • $\begingroup$ Yes, "weighted projective stack" has become standard. $\endgroup$
    – Angelo
    Sep 25, 2010 at 17:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.