I have recently found myself researching a certain type of convex body in $\mathbb{R}^2$, namely centrally symmetric smooth strictly convex bodies. Instead of repeating such a sentence repetitively I have found myself referring to them as "symmetric bodies", but I was hoping there is a more widely used name for them. I have checked the literature but cannot for the life of me find anything. Any help is appreciated.

  • $\begingroup$ perhaps you could just say "in this article CSSSCB stands for centrally symmetric smooth strictly convex bodies?" $\endgroup$
    – erz
    Commented May 29, 2020 at 10:53
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ "symmetric convex body" is widely used to mean "centrally symmetric convex body", so I would add an extra adjective here. Maybe "regular symmetric (convex) body" ? (I have seen "regular" to mean "smooth and strictly convex", but it is not standard terminology) $\endgroup$ Commented May 29, 2020 at 12:38
  • $\begingroup$ You could try giving them your own name. Call them D-bodies. $\endgroup$
    – Deane Yang
    Commented May 30, 2020 at 3:24
  • $\begingroup$ @erz I did originally go with this but I found it isn't very nice to read every time. $\endgroup$
    – S. Dewar
    Commented Jun 2, 2020 at 13:22

1 Answer 1


Centrally symmetric convex body which is absorbing is called "barrel" in the functional analysis. So I suggest you use this term (probably stating explicitly that the barrels you consider are smooth).

  • $\begingroup$ This will run into the same issue of me having to call them "strictly convex smooth barrels" which (while better) is still a bit of a mouthful. $\endgroup$
    – S. Dewar
    Commented Jun 2, 2020 at 13:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.