The prime-counting function is commonly denoted by $\pi(x)$, and if $b$ is a modulus and $a$ a unit in $\mathbb Z/b$, then $\pi(b,a,x)$ counts the primes in $a \mod b$. Yet suppose one wants to count the primes within a subset $S$ of the natural numbers. What would be the corresponding notation? $\pi(S,x)$? What if $S$ is the union of several residue classes modulo $b$?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ You can use any notation you like, provided you are careful to explain it. $\endgroup$ – Gerry Myerson Jan 12 at 23:42

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.