Let $(X,\tau)$ be a topological space, and let $Q$ be a quasi-component of $X$. Let $S$ be a subset of $X\setminus Q$. Then is $Q$ necessarily a quasi-component of $X$ in the topology generated by $\tau\cup\{S\}$?

  • $\begingroup$ For reference, the quasi-component of a point is the intersection of all clopen sets containing that point. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connected_space#Connected_components It is usually best to explain such background concepts when posting on MathOverflow. $\endgroup$ Commented Dec 12, 2018 at 20:30
  • $\begingroup$ @JoelDavidHamkins yes that is correct. thank you for this background. I thought of this problem and found it very difficult to solve. It it helps, assume spaces are separable metric. This will mean each quasi-component is the intersection of a decreasing countable sequence of clopen sets. $\endgroup$ Commented Dec 14, 2018 at 0:04
  • $\begingroup$ You need to add an assumption which will avoid triviality: let $\ (X\ \tau)\ $ be disconnected. $\endgroup$
    – Wlod AA
    Commented Dec 15, 2018 at 3:19

1 Answer 1


Let $X$ be the subspace of the plane given by $X = \{ (\frac{1}{n},y) : n = 1, 2, \cdots,\ 0 \leq y \leq 1 \} \cup \{(0,0),(0,1)\}$, and let $S = \{ \frac{1}{n} : n = 1, 2, \cdots\} \times \{\frac{1}{2}\}$. Then the quasi-component of $(0,0)$ in $X$ is $\{(0,0),(0,1)\}$ but in the topology generated by $X$ and $S$ the quasi-component of $(0,0)$ is $\{(0,0)\}$.

In fact, if $X$ is a normal space and $Q$ is a disconnected quasi-component, then there is a subset $S$ of $X \setminus Q$ such that $Q$ is not a quasi-component of the topology generated by adding $S$ to the topology of $X$. For this let $(H,K)$ be a disconnection of $Q$. Then $H$ and $K$ are disjoint closed subsets of $X$. Let $U$ and $V$ be disjoint open subsets of $X$ such that $H \subseteq U$ and $K \subseteq V$. Let $S = X \setminus (U \cup V)$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.