I am starting to find my thesis problem not meaningful nor interesting and too technical. As I learn more mathematics I am finding myself attracted to other topics and only started on my intital problem with my advisor because I could understand it at first.
My problem is a very "good" one, fulfuling many criteria mentioned by mathematicians:
- It is pitched at exactly the right difficult.
- It involves learning a big machine
- It solution leads to further work and questions.
- Find a new problem? (I'm sure I can't think of such a "good" problem as the one given to me by my advisor.)
- Stick with the same problem and only do new problems after graduation?
- Anything else?