This question is motivated by Frankl's union-closet sets conjecture.

Let $n\in\mathbb{N}$ and set $[n] = \{0,1,\ldots,n\}$. We say that a family ${\cal A} \subseteq {\cal P}([n])$ is union-closed if $\emptyset\notin{\cal A}$ and $A,B\in {\cal A}$ implies $A\cup B\in{\cal A}$.

For $k\in[n]$ we define the weight of $k$ to be $$w(k) = |\{A\in {\cal A}: k\in A\}|.$$ For a set $A\in{\cal A}$ we set the discrepancy to be $$\text{disc}(A) = \max\{w(j):j\in A\} - \min\{w(j):j\in A\}.$$

Let $r\in ]0,1[$ be given. Is there $n\in\mathbb{N}$ and a union closed family ${\cal A}$ on $[n]$ and $M$ minimal amongst the members of ${\cal A}$ such that $$\frac{\text{disc}(M)}{|{\cal A}|} \geq r?$$


Surely yes.

Firstly, we may achieve $\max\{w(j)\colon j\in M\}=|\mathcal A|$ for free. Just take any union-closed family of subsets on $[n-1]$, and add $n$ to every set.

So it suffices to make $\min\{w(j)\colon j\in M\}$ small compared with $\mathcal A$. To make this, take $2^{[n-2]}\setminus\{\varnothing\}$ and add to it $[n-1]\setminus\{1\}$ and $[n-1]$; we get a union-closed family.. Then $[n-1]\setminus \{1\}$ is minimal, and $w(n-1)=2$.


Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.