is there a name in use for Dirichlet series without the order term, analogously to Laurent or Puiseux polynomials? Is there work known about such expressions?

$D(s) = \sum_{0<n<N}a_n/n^s$

The question came up when implementing Dirichlet series in a computer algebra system.

  • $\begingroup$ Could you please clarify what you mean by "Dirichlet series without the order term"? Do you mean series of the shape $\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty a_n/n^s$? $\endgroup$ – Daniel Loughran Apr 6 '15 at 7:55
  • $\begingroup$ Added notation. $\endgroup$ – rwst Apr 6 '15 at 8:24

These are called Dirichlet polynomials.

They arise in many places in analytic number theory. For example, in approximate functional equations of $L$-functions.

| cite | improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.