Given a matrix $A=\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\c&d\end{pmatrix}$, its transpose, obviously, is $A^T=\begin{pmatrix}a&c\\b&d\end{pmatrix}$. But is there a conventional way of notating the matrix $\begin{pmatrix}d&b\\c&a\end{pmatrix}$ in terms of $A$? This generalizes in an obvious way to larger matrices. Also, do you know of some instance where this has been useful, especially in a geometric application?

I realize this seems like a dumb question, but I'm working on something where this matrix operation has come up in a significant way. It would be nice to see if anyone has had something similar happen.

For now I've been using $A_T$.

  • 4
    $\begingroup$ Without introducing new notations, this is $PA^TP$, with the matrix $P=[[0,1],[1,0]]$ . $\endgroup$ – Pietro Majer Jan 28 '15 at 3:45
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Yes that is clear but what I really want is something more concise. My use of it has it happening so regularly, I wouldn't want to write it out as a matrix product every time. $\endgroup$ – j0equ1nn Jan 30 '15 at 3:39

In http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0701936 (Fuchsian equations of type DN, by Vasily Golyshev and Jan Stienstra) the transpose of the matrix $A$ with respect to the anti-diagonal is denoted by $A^\tau$. It relates to the ordinary transpose $A^T$ (or $A^t$ as used in the paper), as follows: $$A^\tau=JA^TJ$$ where $J=(J_{ij})_{0\le i,j\le n}$ denotes the matrix with $J_{ij}=1$ if $i+j=n$ and $J_{ij}=0$ otherwise. This fact was already noted by Pietro Majer for the case $n=1$ with notation $P$ instead of $J$ used in the Golyshev and Stienstra paper.

  • $\begingroup$ This is very nice. I also like the fact that they use a $J$. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but under the standard matrix representation $\rho$ of a quaternion algebra, the quaternion usually denoted by $j$ provides $\rho(jqj)^t=\rho(q)^{\tau}$ for any quaternion $q$. There's a hint of how I came to find a use for this by the way. $\endgroup$ – j0equ1nn Jan 30 '15 at 3:44

Since the transpose is defined around the diagonal and, to the best of my knowledge, the other diagonal is dubbed 'anti-diagonal', I think a natural extension would be call it 'anti-transpose' and write it $A^{aT}$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.