Is there a finite $p$-group $G$ such that :

(a) $G= \langle A,x,y \rangle$, with $G/Z(G)$ has exponent $p$, $A$ is a maximal abelian normal subgroup of $G$, and $G/A$ has order $p^2$ (thus it is elementary abelian of rank $2$);

(b) the class of $G$ is equal to $p$;

(c) the subgroup $\langle B,y \rangle$ has class exactly $p$, where $B$ denotes the center of $\langle A,x \rangle$.

Thanks in advance

  • $\begingroup$ As it stands, you do not exclude the possibility that $x \in A$ and $A = B$. I think the group $G = C_{p} \wr C_{p}$ satisfies these conditions with $A = B$ elementary Abelian of rank $p$ and any $x \in A$, any $y \in G \backslash A$. $\endgroup$ Nov 24, 2013 at 20:47
  • $\begingroup$ This is exactly the case that I want to avoid. The question is not very well formulated, I will edit it. $\endgroup$ Nov 24, 2013 at 20:50
  • $\begingroup$ In the first Geoff Robinson's example (there $A=\Phi(G)$), the class of B is p-1<p and so his group does not satisfy (c). $\endgroup$
    – Yakov
    Dec 22, 2015 at 17:46

1 Answer 1


I think the same example works that I gave to your question https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/571949.

Let $H = C_p \wr C_p$, and $G = H_1 \times H_2$ with $H_1 \cong H_2 \cong H$. So $|H|=p^{p+1}$, $|G|=p^{2(p+1)}$.

The maximal abelian normal subgroup $A$ is the direct product of the base groups of $H_1$ and $H_2$, and is elementary abelian of order $p^{2p}$.

Now $H$ has class $p$ and hence so does $G$, which is property (b).

The centre of $H$ has order $p$ and $H/Z(H)$ has class $p-1$ and is generated by two elements of order $p$, so $H/Z(H)$ has exponent $p$ and hence the same applies to $G/Z(G)$, which gives property (a).

We take $x \in H_1$ and $y \in H_2$ to be elements outside of $A$. So $B=Z(\langle A,x \rangle)$ includes the base group of $H_2$, and hence $\langle B,y \rangle$ contains $H_2$ and has class $p$.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.