Suppose I have a topological category $\mathcal{C}$ of the following form: The object space consists of just two points $p_1, p_2$. The endomorphism space of $p_1$ contains just the identity. The endomorphism space $End(p_2)$ of $p_2$ is a group $G$ and we have a restriction map $End(p_2) \to hom(p_1, p_2)$ which is a homotopy equivalence.

Using just this information, can we say anything about $B\mathcal{C}$?

My guess would be that it is either homotopy equivalent to $BG$ or contractible or something weird like $BG \times G$. Note that even though $hom(p_1,p_2)$ is a $G$-space, $B\mathcal{C}$ does not seem to be the bar construction $B(G,G,\ast)$ or is it? For the latter, the space of objects should be the $G$-space in question and not just two points. Moreover, note that $p_1$ is not necessarily an initial object, since the space $hom(p_1,p_2)$ is generally non-trivial. There also is an obvious map $BG \to B\mathcal{C}$, but I am unable to show that it is a homotopy equivalence, so maybe it isn't.

  • $\begingroup$ What is $\hom(p_2,p_1)$? $\endgroup$ – Fernando Muro Apr 11 '13 at 21:48
  • $\begingroup$ $hom(p_2, p_1)$ is empty. Sorry, I forgot to say that. $\endgroup$ – Ulrich Pennig Apr 11 '13 at 22:01

I think it is equivalent to $BG$. Picking an $x_0 \in X := hom(p_1, p_2)$ we get a map

$$X \to G$$

sending x_0 * g to g. Using this on morphism sets we get a map $F: \mathcal{C} \to G$ which you easily check to be a functor. Furthermore, the element $x_0$ can be used to get a natural transformation $id_\mathcal{C} \Rightarrow inc \circ F$.

| cite | improve this answer | |
  • $\begingroup$ Don't you need that the action of $G$ on $X$ is free to get the functor $F$? $\endgroup$ – Ulrich Pennig Apr 11 '13 at 21:03
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Ah, but up to homotopy I can replace X by G. $\endgroup$ – Ulrich Pennig Apr 11 '13 at 21:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.