MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose you have an equation of the form $Hx=Ky$, where $x,y$ are vectors of length $n,m$ respectively ($m>n$) and $H,K$ are matrices of orders $n \times n,n \times m$ respectively. Is there some kind of name for it?

share|cite|improve this question
If you write this as $(H|K)(x|-y)^T=0$, isn't this just the kernel of a family of linear equations? – Anthony Quas Jun 6 '12 at 16:34
Well yes, but I was hoping for something more revealing. :) – Felix Goldberg Jun 6 '12 at 16:38
A linear equation. – Pietro Majer Jun 6 '12 at 17:06
A system of linear equations – David Roberts Jun 7 '12 at 0:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.