MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hi there. Suppose ${\bf C}_1$, ${\bf C}_2$ and $\bf D$ are categories and $F_i$ is a functor ${\bf C}_i \to \bf D$. Consider the subcategory of the comma category $( F_1 \downarrow F_2)$ whose objects are all triples $(c_1, c_2, e)$ where $c_i \in \mathrm{obj}(\mathbf C_i)$, $F_1(c_1) = F_2(c_2)$ and $e$ is the identity of $\hom_\mathbf{D}(c)$ with $c := F_i(c_i)$. Is there a standard name for this particular category? Thank you in advance.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 7 down vote accepted

The (strict) pullback of $F_0$ and $F_1$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Nothing more specific than this? Ok, I will wait to hear from somebody else, if any, before accepting your answer. Thanks. – Salvo Tringali Apr 22 '12 at 17:11
I think you can accept Mike's answer now. – Andrej Bauer Apr 22 '12 at 19:26
@Andrej: Great job! – Martin Brandenburg Apr 22 '12 at 20:48
I see, nothing but the (strict) pullback of $F_1$ and $F_2$. Ok! – Salvo Tringali Apr 22 '12 at 21:08

The (strict) pullback of $F_0$ and $F_1$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.