MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $k$ be a field and let $G$ be an algebraic group over $k$.

I encountered the following notion in an article:

"Let $\psi: \text{Gal}(\overline{k}/k) \to \text{Int}(\overline{G})$ be a cocycle. The twisted group $_\psi G$..."

How is this "twisted group" defined?

share|cite|improve this question
... dare we presume there were more words of context? – some guy on the street Apr 20 '12 at 2:17
Which article had this sentence? What is $\operatorname{Int}(\overline{G})$? – S. Carnahan Apr 20 '12 at 3:11
presumably int(g bar) is the group of inner automorphisms of the base change of G to a separable closure of k (and psi is a 1-cocylce etc...) – Peter McNamara Apr 20 '12 at 4:59
Yes indeed, I thought this would be clear. The article is Borovoi's 1993 Duke paper, "Abelianization of the second nonabelian Galois cohomology". – Wanderer Apr 20 '12 at 8:50
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You can find the definitions in Serre's book "Galois cohomology". The relevant sections are I.5.3 - I.5.7. The idea is that if you have a group $G$ acting on a group $A$ and a cocycle $\psi\in H^1(G,A)$. The twisted group $_\psi A$ has the same group structure as $A$ but it has a twisted action by $G$, which is given by $$g*a = \psi(g) \cdot (g \cdot a) \cdot \psi(g)^{-1}.$$ There is also a previous question which asked if there is an analog of this for outer automorphisms: Substitute for Serre’s twisting when the “twisting” is outer

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.