Take the 2-minute tour ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to find the correct term for a specific kind of totally ordered space:

Let $S$ be a totally ordered space with asymmetric relation <.

Property: For any two $s_{1}$ and $s_{2}$ in $S$ where $s_1 < s_2$, there must exist some $s_{3}$ such that $s_{1} < s_{3}$ and $s_{3} < s_{2}$.

What is the name of this property? Thank you!

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Dense order is one name that concept goes by.

share|improve this answer
Thank you so much, Mariano! –  user1998 Dec 20 '09 at 1:37

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.