MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If on a bounded smooth, pseudoconvex domain in $\mathbb{C}^n$, $\mathrm{det} ( \mathrm{Hess}(u)) = f$ ($f>0$, $\mathrm{Hess}(u)>0$, $u=0$ on the boundary), if $f \in C^{k, \alpha}$, is $u \in C^{k+2, \alpha}$ ? (I mean, is there an apriori estimate on $u$ with the Hölder exponents of $f$ and $u$ being the same (equal to $\alpha$?)

share|cite|improve this question

I assume that by $\text{Hess}(u)$ you mean the complex Hessian of $u$, so $u$ is plurisubharmonic. If $k\geq 1$ then you can differentiate the equation and apply Evans-Krylov to get uniform interior $C^{k+2,\alpha}$ estimates for $u$.

However if $k=0$ the situation is much more delicate. Assume $f$ is $C^\alpha$ and positive and $u$ is $C^2$, say, and suppose you want to prove uniform interior $C^{2,\beta}$ bounds for $u$ (here $\beta<\alpha$). Then the best result to date, due to Y. Wang, says that you have such estimates but depending also on a pointwise upper bound for $\Delta u$. There are earlier results of Chen-He, Blocki-Dinew and Dinew-Zhang-Zhang. Some of these results get the same exponent $\alpha$ instead of $\beta<\alpha$, under stronger assumptions.

It is an open problem to show that if $u$ is just $L^\infty$ and plurisubharmonic, and $u$ solves the Dirichlet problem for the complex Monge-Ampère equation in the sense of Bedford-Taylor, with RHS $f$ positive and $C^\alpha$, then $u$ is indeed $C^{2,\alpha}$. This would be the direct analogue of a well-known result of Caffarelli for the real Monge-Ampère equation, but it is still open. An old paper of Schulz claims this result, but it contains a mistake.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.