MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Where I can find the classification of 2-transitive and 3-transitive Lie groups?

share|cite|improve this question
Transitive on what? – Max Horn Mar 15 '12 at 10:34

I found the following by googling :

Kramer, Linus. Two-transitive Lie groups. J. Reine Angew. Math. 563 (2003), 83-113.

also available as arxiv:math/0106108

It completely classifies locally compact sigma-compact groups $G$ acting effectively and 2-transitively on a non totally disconnected space $X$ (hausdorff I presume) : then $G$ is a Lie group, $X$ is a connected manifold, and the examples are listed sperately, according to wether $X$ is compact or not.

It remains to extract the 3-transitive cases, which should not be too hard.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.