I know PoSSo and FRISCO were pretty big projects involving many European universities. Interestingly, I couldn't find much information about these projects (the the top of the PoSSo homepage says "under construction", and the bottom of the page says "Last update: december 1996").
I'm just curious:
- Is there any continuation project?
- To what extend did these projects advanced computational algebraic geometry?
- Within the community, were/are they considered a success?
- Outside the community, were/are they well known?
- Outside the community, were the resulting software packages considered useful?