MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Assume that we have a complete lattice $(L,\leq)$.

I would like to know whether the following property has a specific name and whether lattices with this property have been studied somewhere:

For each $x,y \in L$ with $x < y$, there exist $u, v \in L$ such that $v$ is completely join-irreducible, $u$ its unique lower cover (w.r.t to $\leq$) and $v \wedge x \leq u$ as well as $v \leq y$.

It might be helpful to point out that this is equivalent to the condition that each element of $L$ is the join of completely join-irreducible elements. My feeling is that there should be a name for such a property.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Faigle and Herrmann call them point-lattices. They are useful in the modular, algebraic case (Faigle embedding theorem) and also more generally in the (strongly) semi-modular algebraic case (generalized matroid lattices).

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you very much. If that is not too much trouble, could you give me a reference? – Niemi Jun 27 '12 at 8:51
Great, thank you very much for this answer and the reference. – Niemi Jun 27 '12 at 14:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.