MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name for the curve in the plane defined by

$a/\|x - p\|^2 - b/\|x - q\|^2=\mathrm{constant}$

where $a$ and $b$ are fixed numbers and $p$ and $q$ are fixed points? How about if I don't square the denominators? How about if $a$ and $b$ are both $1$?

share|cite|improve this question

I cannot offer names for your functions, but I was interested to see what they look like. Here is the function with the denominators unsquared, i.e., just the distances $||p-a||$ and $||q-b||$:
         Contour Plot
You might look at power Voronoi diagrams, which have a similar flavor (for multiple sites $p$, $q$).

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.