MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let H be a separable and infinite-dimensional Hilbert space which we can consider to be a vector space with real scalars and one of its points h as origin (null vector). Let S be an infinite set of unit length vectors of H, all originating from h. Must S always contain pairs of distinct vectors which subtend an angle less than or equal to pi/2 at h? If the answer to this question is negative and S is a counterexample, must S nevertheless always contain pairs of distinct vectors that subtend obtuse angles at h which are arbitrarily close to pi/2?

share|cite|improve this question

I'll use $(u,v)$ to denote the inner product. If $u_1, \ldots, u_n$ are unit vectors, $0 \le \|u_1 + \ldots + u_n\|^2 = \sum_{i,j=1}^n (u_i, u_j)$. There are $n$ terms $(u_i, u_i) = 1$ and $n^2-n$ with $i \ne j$, so the average of the $(u_i, u_j)$ with $i \ne j$ must be at least $-1/(n-1)$, and therefore at least one pair has $(u_i, u_j) \ge -1/(n-1)$. In particular, for an infinite set of vectors the infimum of the angles must be at most $\pi/2$.

For an example where all angles are obtuse, if $e_1,\ e_2, \ldots$ are orthonormal vectors consider the unit vectors $v_n =\sqrt{3/4} \left(e_n - \sum_{i=n+1}^\infty 2^{n-i} e_i\right)$ and note that for $n < m$, $(v_n, v_m) = (3/4) 2^{n-m} \left( 1 - \sum_{i=1}^\infty 2^{-2i} \right) < 0$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Bravo! This is a beautiful answer. – Garabed Gulbenkian Dec 14 '11 at 20:57
I assume that by "supremum" you mean "Limit Superior" and not "Least Upper Bound" – Garabed Gulbenkian Dec 14 '11 at 21:22
Oops, I meant infimum. I'll edit – Robert Israel Dec 14 '11 at 22:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.