Take the 2-minute tour ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'd like to describe a "bottleneck" in n-dimensional topological vector space $\mathbb R^n$. For that I should probably try to define an "n-dimensional" cylinder.

I'd like to define something similar to a "hollow" cylinder but in say $\mathbb R ^n$ for n >= 2. I would probably define it as something homeomorphic to $S^{n-2} \times L$ where $L$ is a line crossing 0 (for a cylinder with finite volume I'd then assume this line to have two endpoints). Is there a name for this in Geometry or a reference where such a thing is discussed? Would this be the right way of defining a cylinder in n-dimensions? Any other suggestions?

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Willie Wong, Ryan Budney, Qiaochu Yuan, Andy Putman, Deane Yang Dec 2 '11 at 4:52

Questions on MathOverflow are expected to relate to research level mathematics within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This web site is for current research questions in mathematics. Your question is too elementary. –  Ben McKay Dec 1 '11 at 10:42
What would such a cylinder be used for? In which context? –  Qfwfq Dec 1 '11 at 10:59
I'd use it for pathplanning problem in an n-dimensional manifold. I would like to define a situation why even probabilistic complete pathplanning algorithms or analytic path planning algorithms would have difficulty (like the "bottleneck" phenomenon). This is a "current research question" in real algebraic geometry, but I'd like to start with something palatable in this site because I do not expect everyone to be specialized in this and still I want a broad discussion and perspectives from people from other fields. –  Jose Capco Dec 1 '11 at 11:32
If you want to use it to represent an "uncertain" curve, then it's simply a tubular neighborhood of a curve or maybe just its boundary. –  Deane Yang Dec 2 '11 at 4:53

1 Answer 1

I believe an abstract cylinder is any manifold having the form $M \times I$, where $I \subseteq \mathbb{R}$ is an interval. This is called a 'cylinder over $M$'. In your case, you'd want $M$ to have codimension 2 in the ambient space. Your definition is compatible with this.

Take a look at http://books.google.com/books?id=w7dActmezxQC&pg=PA158&lpg=PA158&dq=cylinder-over+manifold&source=bl&ots=4L8o9p3ECV&sig=0abI4PCpECfjaP0zXmltcxMaSeA&hl=en&ei=JFDYTvK-GeKWiQKr95SVCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=cylinder-over%20manifold&f=false for an example.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.