MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I heard this example was given in Whitehead's paper A CERTAIN OPEN MANIFOLD WHOSE GROUP IS UNITY.( ) But I was confused by his term. Thus I'm looking for an explanation in more standard terms about this example.

But since my aim is to know about an example of this kind, any alternative will do either.

share|cite|improve this question
@lethe: what is your question? What exactly would you like to know? (please reformulate your post so that it focuses on something specific that you would like to know). – André Henriques Nov 24 '11 at 15:33
Sorry! I'm looking for a modern explanation about this example, but I wasn't so sure about whether the language is already "modern" in the original paper. Now it seems to be already settled...I didn't expect it can be just called "whitehead manifold"... Thanks all of you! – Honglu Nov 25 '11 at 1:17
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's discussed in Kirby's "The topology of 4-manifolds", around page 80, and at a glance the argument looks "modern".

share|cite|improve this answer

The manifold is the Whitehead manifold.

share|cite|improve this answer
See also J. Hempel - 3-Manifolds pag. 155 – Francesco Lin Nov 24 '11 at 23:40
I didn't know it is given such a name. Thanks! If I had been able to accept both of the answers. – Honglu Nov 25 '11 at 1:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.