MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $R$ be a commutative and associative ring with unit. Can $R$ be embedded in a ring $\hat{R}$ wich is both non commutative and non associative ?

Thanks guys !

share|cite|improve this question

closed as too localized by Qiaochu Yuan, Andreas Blass, Bruce Westbury, Pete L. Clark, Mark Sapir Nov 4 '11 at 17:10

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What do you mean by a nonassociative ring? – MTS Nov 4 '11 at 16:34
And what do you mean by embedded? If I say that a ring $A$ is embedded in another ring $B$, I mean that there is an injective ring homomorphism from $A$ to $B$. What kind of morphism do you want from your associative ring to your nonassociative "ring"? – MTS Nov 4 '11 at 16:36
I posted very similar comments, but then deleted them when I realized there is a wikipedia article on nonassociative rings, and it's the first hit from a google search. The second question is harder to answer...I don't know what subobjects are for these so-called non-associative rings. – David White Nov 4 '11 at 16:51

Yes. The "can" question is not so interesting: think of the image of the integers inside any nonassociative algebra. But specific cases, and counting embeddings, are interesting. See work of Gross and Gan, "Commutative Subrings of Certain Non-associative Rings", Math. Ann. v.314 n.2, 1998.

share|cite|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.