MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Metric spaces are isometric if there exists a bijective isometry between them.

Is there a standard notation for this, along the same lines as $X\approx Y$ for homeomorphic spaces and $X\simeq Y$ for homotopy equivalent spaces?

share|cite|improve this question
I would say no. And actually I'm not sure that your notations for homeomorphism and homotopy equivalence, are completely standard... – Alain Valette Oct 28 '11 at 9:18
In every case you can write $\cong$ when the category is clear in the context. – Martin Brandenburg Oct 28 '11 at 9:18
@Alain: point taken. I meant to say that the above symbols are standard enough that a topologist would know what they mean without them being defined. I was wondering if there was a similar symbol for isometry ($=$ seems inaccurate, and $\cong$ seems too general). – Mark Grant Oct 28 '11 at 11:38
I don't know of such a notation. But I agree with Martin that if you scrupulously bear in mind the category under discussion, then $\cong$ is all-purpose. If that doesn't seem satisfactory, then I'd lamely offer $\cong_{\text{isom}}$ or something like that for emphasis. – Todd Trimble Oct 28 '11 at 13:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.