MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For e.g. any range of number 0 - n

0 1 2 3 4 5 6


0 2 4 6 4 2 0

Is there a name for this kind of formula or calculation?

share|cite|improve this question
Would you clarify the mapping? – Charles Sep 2 '11 at 17:58
Sorry Charles, I do not know the mapping too, that's what I want to find out as well. – yzyzyz Sep 2 '11 at 18:04
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The tent map. In your case it'd be scaled to $f(x) = 2 \min(x, 6-x)$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you so much! – yzyzyz Sep 2 '11 at 20:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.