I am a programmer and have the following requirement.
We are trying to figure out the optimal way to ship widgets. Below is the scenario:
- We need to ship 1,000,000 widgets
- We have two different size boxes. A 300 widget size box and a 200 widget size box.
- The widgets are shipped to 2,000 individual distributors, in multiple boxes.
- Each of those 2000 distributors service on average 10 locations
- There are 20,000 individual locations
- Each location calls for random number of widgets
- Location 1 requires 25 widgets
- Location 2 requires 75 widgets
- Location 20,000 requires 12 widgets
- The widgets are put into a bag; a bag is for one location. There can be multiple bags in a box. The box is shipped to the distributor.
- We cannot have more than 100 widgets in a bag.
What would be the most efficient way to ship as few boxes as possible?