MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The derivative of the Floquet transform equals the Floquet tranform of the derivative. But can the Floquet tranform of the derivative of a function $f(r)$ can be expressed in terms of the Floquet tranform of the function $f(r)$?

So, is there a relation between $(U \frac{\partial f}{\partial r})(r)$ and $(Uf)(r)$ (like there is for the Fourier transform, i.e. $(F \frac{\partial f}{\partial r})(r)=iω(Ff)(r)$?

Many thanks in advance !


share|cite|improve this question

wasn't this answered yesterday?

Floquet transform of the derivative of a function

there is a relation, but it requires differentiation with respect to $r$; the parameter $k$ in the Floquet transform does not know how $f(r)$ varies within a unit cell of the lattice, so there is no analogue of the algebraic relation you have for the Fourier transform.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.