MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I already have a phd in pure math, but I get interests in applied math, is it possible that I can get a phd in applied math? Is it possible that I can be admitted?Thanks!

share|cite|improve this question

closed as off topic by Cam McLeman, J.C. Ottem, Felipe Voloch, Willie Wong, Steven Sam Apr 20 '11 at 13:36

Questions on MathOverflow are expected to relate to research level mathematics within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I neither do know if this question is appropriate here (though I guess at most in community wiki) and I suggest that you should ask at the institution which provides your phd, not here, anyway. – Abel Stolz Apr 20 '11 at 12:34
Most places do not have separate PhDs in pure math and applied math, just math. In any case (assuming your question isn't hypothetical) you've already been asked to teach yourself some things along the way towards a PhD in pure math. If you truly develop an interest in applied math you can just teach yourself the relevant concepts, and this is something that people have done before. The most famous example I know of is David Mumford. – stankewicz Apr 20 '11 at 12:40
If teaching yourself a new field without resources or mentorship seems intimidating, you can always apply for a post-doc or visiting assistant professor position at an institution with an active research group in applied math. – Aaron Hoffman Apr 20 '11 at 12:53

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.