Take the 2-minute tour ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Given a group $G$ let $R(G)$ be its residual, that is the intersection of all the normal subgroups of finite index. Is there a name for the relation between $G$ and $H$ defined by $G/R(G) \cong H/R(H)$? (We thought of calling it finitely isomorphic.)

share|improve this question
Mark I don't understand your comment. $G$ and $H$ are two distinct groups, they are not subgroups of anything common. –  Yiftach Barnea Mar 30 '11 at 12:20
I see: I misread your question assuming that $H\le G$. –  Mark Sapir Mar 30 '11 at 12:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.