MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the correct mathematical name for the partial ordering on vectors based on what is sometimes called "Pareto Dominance"?

Does Pareto Dominance have an alternative name in fields other than economics?

For two vectors of the same dimension, one Pareto Dominates the other if all its elements are greater than the corresponding element in the other vector.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Depending on if you allow "greater" to mean "greater or equal" or to mean "strictly greater" we have two answers coming from Order Theory, respectively:

Those two, along with the lexicographic order (which I searched to find this answer), are the three best-known choices among the possible orders on the Cartesian product of two totally ordered sets, as is stated in

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.