MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Who should be credited with the proposition that if $R$ is a relation on $X \times Y$, then for all subsets $S$ of $X$, $G(F(G(S)))=G(S)$, where $G(S)$ denotes the set of $y \in Y$ such that $xRy$ for all $x \in S$ and $F(T)$ denotes the set of $x \in X$ such that $xRy$ for all $y \in T$? What is the category-theoretic way of describing this situation?

share|cite|improve this question

That's normally called a Galois connection (because of the example where $X$ is a field, $Y$ is a group of automorphisms of $X$, and $aRg$ means that $g(a)=a$). The Wikipedia article ( has a number of references.

share|cite|improve this answer
Really?? I always thought a Galois connection was an adjoint pair of functors between posets. – David Roberts Jan 24 '11 at 3:26
Ah, I see from here… the situation as the OP describes gives rise to a Galois connection between the powersets of $X$ and $Y$. Cool. – David Roberts Jan 24 '11 at 3:28

$G(S):= \lbrace y\in Y | \forall x\in S. xRy \rbrace$

$F(T):= \lbrace x\in X | \forall y\in T. xRy \rbrace$

This Galois connection is called “polarities” in “M. Erne, J. Koslowski, A. Melton, G. E. Strecker. A Primer on Galois Connections.” and the relation-generated Galois connection in “Smith. The Galois Connection between Syntax and Semantics.”

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks! Is there any terminology for the closure operator $S \mapsto F(G(S))$? – James Propp Jan 28 '11 at 17:07

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.