MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A category is called well-powered if the partial order of subobjects of any object is a set. Is there a German translation which is well-established in the literature? I don't want to use the English term in a German text.

share|cite|improve this question
I am curious whether there is something available in: – Suvrit Nov 14 '10 at 9:57
'Teilobjekt' only occurs once so my guess is no. – Torsten Ekedahl Nov 14 '10 at 10:05
@Torsten: "Unterobjekt". @Suvrit: No. – Martin Brandenburg Nov 14 '10 at 11:29
I nominate Wohltemperierte Klavier. – Will Jagy Nov 14 '10 at 21:44
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Pareigis and Schubert both use "lokal klein" in their textbooks. Of course there is a clash with the other meaning of "locally small" (i.e. that Hom(a,b) is always a set), but this is usually satisfied by their definitions of category.

share|cite|improve this answer
Hm, I don't like this clash. Perhaps I will use another term. Thanks for the reference. – Martin Brandenburg Nov 14 '10 at 21:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.