MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $X$ and $Y$ be projective varieties. I am assuming that there is some construction of a "moduli space" parametrizing the morphisms $X \to Y$. For instance, if one identifies such morphisms with their graphs in $X \times Y$, one can at least hope that these graphs would correspond to a locally closed subscheme of the Chow or Hilbert schemes for $X \times Y$, although this may not be the best way to construct such a space. In the case of $X = Y = \mathbb{P}^n$, this space should probably be a disjoint union of $PGL_n$ with $\mathbb{P}^n$ [Edit:This is not correct; I know a theorem that the image must be either a point or all $\mathbb{P}^n$, but grossly misapplied it by neglecting maps of degree > 1]. (I am requiring the varieties to be projective because, for instance, if $Y$ is the affine line, then the morphisms $X$ to $Y$ would naturally correspond to the global sections of $X$, which for general $X$ is too big to fit in one nice scheme, being infinite-dimensional. Although I suppose it might work if we confined ourselves to e.g. morphisms of a fixed degree, and we are already doing something of this sort in looking at Chow or Hilbert schemes, so perhaps my concern here is needless.)

Is there a standard space that represents these morphisms, and if so, what is known about it? Is there a good reference for this?

share|cite|improve this question
See the book by Koll\'ar, "Rational Curves on Algebraic Varieties", Chapter 1. – mdeland Nov 4 '10 at 17:27
Also, to address your example when $n = 1$, degree $d > 0$ maps from P^1 to P^1 may be identified with two degree $d$ homogeneous polynomials in two variables with no common factor (up to a total scaling). So the Hom scheme in this case is much bigger than you suggest! – mdeland Nov 5 '10 at 1:03
mdeland: Thanks for the correction. I don't know what I was thinking. – Charles Staats Nov 5 '10 at 2:20
up vote 9 down vote accepted

It is called the Hom scheme, and I think it's defined in Grothendieck's Bourbaki 221 paper, where he constructs the Hilbert and Quot schemes. For any $S$-schemes $X$ and $Y$, $\underline{Hom}_S(X,Y)$ assigns to any $S$-scheme $T$ the set $Hom_T(X_T,Y_T)$. Osserman has a quick overview of the constructions, which you can find with Google. Olsson's paper "Hom stacks and restriction of scalars" is one possible reference that covers a more general setting.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks! Sometimes the most important step in looking something up is knowing what it is called. – Charles Staats Nov 4 '10 at 18:29

There is a good non-stacky intro to this in the first chapter of Rational curves on algebraic varieties by János Kollár. You can also find some very nice applications there, such as Mori's Bend & Break.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.