MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What should I call a property (P) of (open) subspaces of a space $X$ such that:

  1. If $U$ satisfies (P), then so does every open subset $V\subset U$

  2. If {$U_i$} is a pairwise disjoint collection of sets satisfying (P), then $\bigcup_i U_i$ satisfies (P). (Unable to make braces?)

My understanding is that if (P) satisfies condition 1, then (P) is called a hereditary property.

CLARIFICATION: My main question is really: is there existing terminology for such a property?

I will, however be happy to consider suggestions on the secondary question: if not, then what should I call it?

share|cite|improve this question
I would say that hereditary is generally reserved for properties which are inherited by all subspaces, not just open ones. To be honest, I would not introduce a name for such a thing, but only a shorthand («Let us, for briefness, call excellent a property such that ... and ...», and then talk about «excellent properties»; if the concept catches up, this makes it more probable that you get immortalized with «Stromian property» or something!) – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Aug 20 '10 at 14:51
Rather than using pedestrian adjectives like excellent or good (unless you are really trying to get it named after you), it maybe better to make a definition to the effect that a property (P) satisfying conditions (1) and (2) are said to be in class S. – Willie Wong Aug 20 '10 at 15:39
I find adjectives more readable. Compare "Take a good property and assume..." with "Take a property of class S and assume..." – Andrea Ferretti Aug 20 '10 at 15:56
I should have said this before: if you are going to pick an adjective, please oh please let it be not «admissible»! – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Aug 20 '10 at 19:45
@Mariano. I was thinking of "regular." – Jeff Strom Aug 20 '10 at 21:01

I would call such a property hereditary and (completely) additive on open sets. If you want to specify a cardinality constraint on the index set I, then adverbs like finitely/countably (or sigma) may be useful.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.