MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In EGA IV2, Def. 3.2.4, Grothendieck defines a quasicoherent sheaf over a locally Noetherian scheme to be "irredondant" if it has a unique associated point. Presumeably, a module over a Noetherian ring is irredondant if it has a unique associated prime. However, googling gives no relevant results for "irredundant sheaf" or "irredundant module" (which I can understand, since it is rather a peculiar name).

How is this term usually rendered into English? Ideally, answers should include at least one reference to a text or paper using this term.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Wikipedia calls a module over a commutative Noetherian ring with only one associated prime a coprimary module. I don't recall hearing this terminology elsewhere, but it is certainly common to call a submodule $N$ of $M$ a primary submodule if $M/N$ is coprimary.

share|cite|improve this answer
Googling this gives enough relevant hits to make me think that it's probably the standard term (if there is one). – Charles Staats Jul 12 '10 at 18:04
I'm pretty sure that's what Eisenbud uses as well. – Akhil Mathew Jul 12 '10 at 18:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.