MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I measured one dependent variable between three groups of data (control, group1, group2).The result of t-test indicates significant difference between control and group 1 (p vale =.04), control and group 2(p value .01), but not significant between group 2 and group 3.Do I still need to use the post hoc test? If so, which test is the most appropriate?

share|cite|improve this question
Kamran, I suspect you're at the wrong site for this question and are unlikely to get a good answer. We don't currently have many mathematicians here who are interested in statistics, but even if we did this question looks more like a practical question about scientific conventions rather than a theoretical question of interest to mathematicians. A similar question did not get any answers. You and Pat could discuss whether there's a community for a statistics SE site, but I do not think MO is the place for that since we're mathematicians not scientists. – Noah Snyder Apr 26 '10 at 21:51
There is a proposal for a statistics SE site here: – Rob J Hyndman Apr 29 '10 at 1:05

If you've got more than two groups, don't use t-tests (due to the multiple comparisons trap). Use a one-way ANOVA instead (based on an F-test). Then if you want a post-hoc test after that, use Tukey's HSD.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.