MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As the title says, is there a mathematical object referred to as "ivy" or "ivy type" or similar?

I have a type of graph where this name fits perfectly, but I don't want it to clash with something already defined.

(I could in this paper call it a "reduced graph" or "contracted graph" but the above definition would make more sense.)

share|cite|improve this question
If it fits perfectly for you, then use it anyway, even if it already has imperfect meaning elsewhere. – Joel David Hamkins Apr 25 '10 at 1:14
"Ivy" might be a problematic name since "an ivy" is very unidiomatic English. – Tom Smith Apr 25 '10 at 22:21
Yes, it is some sort of plant, but the plants characteristics fits my definition. That is the nice part. – Per Alexandersson Apr 26 '10 at 15:29
@Tom: only because ivy is generally used in mass noun constructions. "An ivy vine" is perfectly idiomatic English; "an ivy graph" would be fine in maths. – Charles Stewart May 11 '10 at 9:04
I trust that these graphs aren't poisonous. – Gerry Myerson Aug 31 '10 at 13:00
up vote 13 down vote accepted

Ivy does not appear to be a common term in mathscinet. Integrable vector Young functions are called IVY-functions in MR2055989 and related papers. Otherwise all occurrences are the plant or a person.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks, what I write is related to complex analysis and graph theory, so this won't be closely related notions. – Per Alexandersson Apr 25 '10 at 1:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.