MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a common name for the complement $\widehat{X} \setminus X$ of a metric space $X$ in its metric completion $\widehat{X}$? Since $X$ is not necessarily open in $\widehat{X}$, the term boundary is out of the question (without additional qualifiers). Metric remainder seems appropriate but I did not find it in the literature.

share|cite|improve this question
I don't know that there is any standard term for this, but I approve of metric remainder. (Of course, whatever terminology you use should be defined the first time you use it.) – Pete L. Clark Apr 21 '10 at 15:10
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Remainder. I agree with that. But I don't find it on-line. Maybe "remainder" is primarily used for $\beta X \setminus X$ ? But it should be OK in your setting if you say the first time you use it: "the remainder of $X$ in its completion" or something.

share|cite|improve this answer
Remainder (aka Stone-Čech remainder) does usually mean $\beta X\setminus X$. – François G. Dorais Apr 21 '10 at 14:32
Gerald and Pete, I decided to go with metric remainder. It still feels strange that this object hasn't been found to be deserving of a name. – François G. Dorais Apr 22 '10 at 16:06

Corona? Ideal boundary?

share|cite|improve this answer
Interesting. Do you have references for these terms? – François G. Dorais Apr 21 '10 at 15:17
I believe, "ideal boundary" pretty much common - see ideal boundaries of Hadamard manifolds (Tits boundary, Gromov ideal boundary etc, there are also ideal boundaries of horofunctions, Buseman functions, distance-like functions); or equivalent notions from the geometric group theory. Also there are some "functional" ideal boundaries usualy called corona (spaces) - Martin boundary, Furstenberg boundary, etc. Stone-Cech compactification adds the biggest, in some sense, corona space. I am not sure about references, may be start with wik – valeri Apr 21 '10 at 16:30
I don't know all of these, but I thought that these were compactifications. Are any of them metric completions? – François G. Dorais Apr 21 '10 at 17:59
yes, usually they are (I am not sure about all) compactifications. – valeri Apr 21 '10 at 19:50

Hausdorff boundary A.P. Kopylov "On unique determination of domains in Euclidean spaces" section 6 "Domains with Hausdorff Boundaries" It is posiible to use word "boundary" as part of the name of $\widehat{X}\setminus X$ if $X$ is domain in $\mathbb{R}^n$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Penumbra? Cointerior?

share|cite|improve this answer
Any references for these? I am only familiar with penumbra in the setting of convex analysis, and I don't think the concept there can be taken over here directly. – Willie Wong Apr 21 '10 at 18:49
Penumbra was taken from the analysis of object-oriented programs (The Ins and Outs of Objects – Potter, Noble, Clarke, ASWEC 98). I thought cointerior was from mathematical morphology, but I could not find the name again when scanning through some literature. – supercooldave Apr 22 '10 at 7:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.