MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose you have a locally compact group G with a discrete subgroup H. Of course G has a unique (up to scalar) Haar measure, but it seems that G/H has and induced Haar measure as well.

How does one induce a measure on G/H from the Haar measure on G? Any sources that describe this?

share|cite|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Yemon Choi, David Roberts, Andrey Rekalo, Willie Wong, Neil Strickland Jun 27 '13 at 17:57

  • This question does not appear to be about research level mathematics within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

See here ... .. – Anweshi Apr 18 '10 at 21:42
Hadn't seen that question. I note that no one there seems to mention that there might not be a G-invariant measure on G/H ... – Yemon Choi Apr 19 '10 at 3:23
voting to close - intended reason would be "no longer relevant" – Yemon Choi Jun 26 '13 at 20:31

Given a locally compact group $G$ and a closed subgroup $H$, there is a $G$-invariant measure on $G/H$ if, and only if, $\Delta_G|_H=\Delta_H$ (where $\Delta_G$ is the so-called modular function of $G$, which measures the difference between the left and right Haar measures). Every discrete group $H$ is unimodular (i.e. $\Delta_H$=1), so, according to the above, you'd have to check that $\Delta_G|_H$ is trivial. in fact, when $H$ is a discrete subgroup of $G$, there's a $G$-invariant measure on $G/H$ if, and only if, This will occur if $G$ itself is unimodular (e.g when $G$ is abelian, or compact, or a reductive group), but may occur more generally, for example with $G$ being the upper-triangular matrices in $\text{SL}(2,\mathbf{R})$ and $H$ the unipotent upper-triangular matrices in $\text{SL}(2,\mathbf{Z})$. In most cases, to induce a measure on $X=G/H$ you can simply pick a fundamental domain $F\subseteq G$, and integrate over it (according to this, this can be done at least when $G$ is $\sigma$-compact). More generally, you can normalize things so that for any integrable function $f$ on $G$ $$\int_X\left(\int_H f(gh)d\mu_H(h)\right)d\mu_{G/H}(gH)=\int_Gf(g)d\mu_G(g).$$

ADDED: I've come across a reference that could help: It's in the Encyclopaedia of Mathematical Science series, specifically "Lie group and Lie algebras II". Chapter 1 is "Discrete subgroups of locally compact groups". Here's a link to google books.

share|cite|improve this answer
It may be worth mentioning that for any closed subgroup H in a locally compact group G, although the quotient space G/H might not have a G-invariant measure, it does always have a G-quasi-invariant measure $\mu$; that is, $g\cdot\mu$ is absolutely continuous with respect to $\mu$, for any $g\in G$. This can be found in, for instance, Ch.8 of "Classical harmonic analysis and locally compact groups" by Reiter and Stegemann; but there should be other sources too. – Yemon Choi Apr 18 '10 at 1:30
I was always a bit confused by this. Because $H$ is discrete (hence closed, assuming $G$ is Hausdorff), $G/H$ is a locally compact group, and so possesses a Haar measure. Now, am I correct in my understanding that a $G$-invariant measure on $G/H$ is a Borel measure $\mu$ on $G/H$ such that $\mu(xE)=\mu(E)$ for each $x\in G$ and $E\subseteq G/H$ a Borel set? But $x$ acts on $gH$ by $(x,gH)\mapsto xgH$, so $xE$ is the same as $(xH)E$, right? So Haar measure on $G/H$ is $G$-invariant in this sense, isn't it? What am I not getting right? – Keenan Kidwell Apr 18 '10 at 1:32
@Keenan: G/H is only a group if H is a normal subgroup... – Yemon Choi Apr 18 '10 at 2:34
@Rob H.: it is not true that there is an invariant measure on G/H iff G is unimodular. Take for instance H to be the trivial group. If however, there exists an invariant Radon measure on G/H which is finite, then one can show that G must be unimodular. – Anton Apr 18 '10 at 11:59

I couldn't figure out which other answer to make this be a comment for... so:

Already mentioned in other answers, but really working better than might have been acknowledged, is that the averaging map $\alpha:C^o_c(G)\rightarrow C^o_c(H\backslash G)$ by $\alpha f(x)=\int_H f(hx) dh$ is (readily provably) a surjection, for a closed subgroup $H$ of $G$. Thus, to attempt to define a right $G$-invariant integral/measure on $C^o_c(H\backslash G)$, define $\int_{H\backslash G} \alpha f dx=\int_G f$. The immediate issue, of course, is well-definedness, which holds only when the modular function of $G$ restricted to $H$ is equal to the modular function of $H$.

This is one of those quasi-standard riffs that gets submerged... perhaps I saw it in Weil's book on integration on topological groups.

share|cite|improve this answer

Chapter 14 in Royden's Real Analysis has a discussion of group-invariant measures on homogeneous spaces.

share|cite|improve this answer

The following works in the simpler case when $G$ is not just locally compact, but compact. The idea is to view a measure as a linear functional on the space of continuous functions, and embed continuous functions on the quotient $G/H$ into continuous functions on $G$.

More precisely, if $q: G \to G/H$ is the quotient map, then there is an induced map $$ q^* : C(G/H) \to C(G),$$ which just embeds functions on $G/H$ as functions on $G$ which are invariant under right-translation by $H$. Denote Haar measure on $G$ by $f \mapsto \int_G f d\mu$ for $f \in C(G)$. Then define a measure on $G/H$ by $$ g \mapsto \int_G q^*(g) d\mu.$$ This should give the Haar measure on $G/H$ with total mass the same as the total mass of the Haar measure on $G$ that you started with.

The problem with this when $G$ is not compact is that the Haar measure is a linear functional on $C_c(G)$, the continuous functions with compact support, and the map $q^*$ doesn't take $C_c(G/H)$ to $C_c(G)$, in general.

share|cite|improve this answer
Could you give some text references that expose your answer ? – user10198 Oct 20 '10 at 12:24
Have a look at Echterhoff and Deitmar "Principles of Harmonic Analysis", it should be in the first chapter. – Marc Palm Jun 25 '11 at 11:47

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.