MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I heard the phrase from many mathematician using in the colloquials. I heard algebraic geometer using it. I was never bother about it until one of my professor responded to one my question as follows:

The graph product is by definition the fundamental group of the space K obtained from the underlying graph by blowing up.

what this phrase means in that context.

share|cite|improve this question
Madeel, the phrase "graph product" has a number of meanings. I suspect your professor is referring to viewing a graph of groups as the fundamental group of a graph of spaces. There's a blog post about that here, which might help:… . – HJRW Feb 16 '10 at 23:15
Adeel, I now realise that you have seen the blog entry in question already! :) – HJRW Feb 17 '10 at 4:46

Here the graph product is defined as in the Hatcher.

Anyway I am posting a response by my professor which has answered my question:

In algebraic geometry, blowing up is a process of replacing a point inan algebraic variety by a projective space. In graph products, it is the process of replacing each vertex v of the graph by K(G_v,1), and each edge by the appropriate mapping cylinder (as described in Hatcher).

See section 1B on K(G,1) spaces for further detail.


share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.