MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

It is known that using the Cayley-Dickson construction a quaternion $q$ can be written in a symplectic form as $q=x+\mathbf{i}y$ with $x,y \in \mathbb{C}$.

I read in a couple of references that $x$ is called the simplex-part whereas $y$ is called the perplex-part of the quaternion. Is this widely accepted and if not what is the proper onomatology?

On the same topic is there a standard name for the two Quaternion parts comprising an Octonion?

share|cite|improve this question
Personally I've never read or heard the terms "simplex part" and "perplex part". – Johannes Hahn Feb 3 '10 at 17:15
I'm with Johannes, I've never seen a simplex-part or perplex-part mentioned anywhere...what references used those terms? – Charles Siegel Feb 3 '10 at 17:38
I believe that this might be engineering nomenclature, who also use the term "symplectic" in the same sense as in the question. I have never come across this usage of symplectic (although I can see why it is used) or "simplex" and "perplex" parts in the mathematics or mathematical physics literature. – José Figueroa-O'Farrill Feb 3 '10 at 18:28
Moreover, I would say that the Cayley-Dickson process would write the quaternion as a pair $(x,y)$ of complex numbers and not in the way that it is written in the question. – José Figueroa-O'Farrill Feb 3 '10 at 18:30

I believe there is a good reason why mathematicians don't use the terminology "simplex-part" and "perplex-part": they are not canonical! Indeed, algebraically there is no way to distinguish the elements $i$, $j$ and $k$ in the quaternion algebra $\mathbb{H}$ (and there are in fact many more elements playing the same rôle).

On the other hand, there is a canonical standard involution on $\mathbb{H}$, namely $$\sigma \colon x = a + bi + cj + dk \mapsto \overline{x} := a - bi - cj - dk,$$ and therefore the decomposition of $a + bi + cj + dk$ into the two parts $a$ and $bi + cj + dk$ is canonical. The part $bi + cj + dk$ is often called the pure part of the element $x$.

(This terminology is also used for octonions, and also for (generalized) quaternion and octonion algebras over arbitrary fields of characteristic different from $2$.)

share|cite|improve this answer
googling "perplex part" quaternion yields 18 results, including this question. – Gerald Edgar May 5 '11 at 12:52
googling "pure part" quaternion on the other hand yields 579 results. It seems that "purely imaginary part" is used more often, since googling "purely imaginary part" quaternion gives 12400 hits. – Tom De Medts May 5 '11 at 13:30

[1] T. A. Ell and S. J. Sangwine, “Hypercomplex Fourier Transforms of Color Images,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 22-35, Jan. 2007.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.