MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I apologize for asking something that might well be found in a mathematical dictionary, but the similarity of the French word to an English one is frustrating my attempts to Google the answer (and the library is shut at time of typing). I suspect the answer should be obvious to those who, unlike me, know some basic Lie group/Lie algebra terminology.

Some context: I am reading an old paper of Dixmier from 1969, which has the following construction/definition. Let $\mathfrak g$ be a Lie algebra (characteristic zero, finite-dimensional), let $\mathfrak n$ be its largest nilpotent ideal -- the nilradical -- and put ${\mathfrak h}=[{\mathfrak g},{\mathfrak g}]+{\mathfrak n}$. Dixmier calls ${\mathfrak h}$ "le nilradicalisé de ${\mathfrak g}$".

Literal translation would surely be "the nilradicalised", but that sounds more like a mopey university indie band than a mathematical object. So what is the usual name for this object in English?

share|cite|improve this question
I don't know the English term for the object, but let me assure you that "the nilradicalized" actually sounds better than "le nilradicalisé"! (Given the year 1969, this could very well be a joke.) – François G. Dorais Jan 31 '10 at 23:10
The thought of Dixmier making jokes somehow doesn't compute in my head -- but I only know (some of) his work, so perhaps I'm selling him short. – Yemon Choi Jan 31 '10 at 23:28
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I suspect pretty strongly that this is idiosyncratic terminology; I've never seen that subalgebra used, and the term has no google hits other than this post.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. The paper's real goal is to say something about the von Neumann algebra of a connected Lie group; but I wasn't sure if this preliminary construction was somehow standard. – Yemon Choi Jan 31 '10 at 23:55
I've asked my dept neighbour who is a "Lie algebras person" and he too has neither heard the term nor seen that subalgebra. So it looks like Ben's answer is as good as we'll get. – Yemon Choi Feb 3 '10 at 3:49
Something I may have noticed at the time but forgotten: MathSciNet gives exactly one match for the term "nilradicalis&eaacute;", and it is in Kleppner's review of a Trans. AMS paper of Pukanszky (The definition is made in the paper on page 22, just before Lemma 7; but Pukanszky never uses the term nilradicalisé) – Yemon Choi Jan 5 '13 at 0:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.