MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Given the projection $\pi_A$ from a group $G$ to $G/A$ where $A$ is normal, is there a name and/or a standard notation for $\pi_A^{-1}\left(Z\left(G/A\right)\right)$?

I came across this object in my studies of racks and I wondered if it had been already named in the literature but I couldn't find any easy reference.

share|cite|improve this question
Without a name, the notation $Z(G mod A)$ is used by A. Mann in "Elements of minimal breadth...", J. Aust. Math. Soc. 81 (2006). – Yassine Guerboussa Jul 3 '13 at 15:02
I don't think it has a special name, except in the special case where $A=Z(G)$ (in which case you have the "second center", $Z_2(G)$), or more generally, obtained by such an iteration, producing the upper central series of $G$, $Z(G)=Z_1(G)\leq Z_2(G)\leq Z_3(G)\leq\cdots$. – Arturo Magidin Jul 3 '13 at 16:32
How about "precenter"? – Ian Agol Jul 4 '13 at 0:28
@Giuliano: I doubt that a name exists, since the concept depends not just on $G$ but also on which normal subgroup $A$ you work with. (Small side note: a letter like $H$ or $N$ might be better, not suggesting "abelian" as the letter $A$ does. Unless that special case is what you have in mind.) – Jim Humphreys Jul 4 '13 at 0:29
@ Jim Humphreys : There is some concepts depending on G and a subgroup, which in fact have names, for instance "centralizer" and "normalizer". – Yassine Guerboussa Jul 4 '13 at 11:04

Since, there seem not to be an accepted term, I hereby propose, accepting the suggestion of Prof. Agol

Definition. Given a surjective morphism of groups $f:G \rightarrow H $ the preimage of the center of $H$ shall be the precenter of $f$ and shall be indicated by $Z^{-1} \left( f \right)$.

The case proposed in my question would became $ Z^{-1}\left( \pi_A \right)$.

The jury is out :-)

share|cite|improve this answer
To my mind, it is better to find a notation that does not refer to any homomorphism, only to the subgroup and the whole group. – Yassine Guerboussa Jul 4 '13 at 18:07
@YassineGuerboussa Make your proposal then! The sense of mine was to be somewhat categorical, the morphisms and not the objects are the heroes... – Giuliano Bianco Jul 4 '13 at 18:12
I suggest $Z_G(N)$, $N$ normal in $G$, and I would call it the center of $G$ modulo $N$. The precenter of $f$ is the center of $G$ modulo $ker(f)$, for brevity $Z_G(f)$ (or $Z(f)$). (Is it useful to see Group Theory from a categorical aspect?). Sincerely. – Yassine Guerboussa Jul 4 '13 at 19:31
That's the notation for centralizer of N in G. – Marc Palm Sep 3 '13 at 5:06

Baer in Representations of groups as quotient groups. I. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 58, (1945) defines the notion of commutator quotient (and he says that he takes it from Zassenhaus): if S,T are subsets of a group G he defines:

$$ S \div T = \lbrace g \in G | [T, g] \subseteq S \rbrace $$

With this notation you have

$$ Z\left( \frac{G}{N} \right) = \frac{N \div G}{N}$$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.