Take the 2-minute tour ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm a bit hesitant to post this question here because it regards definitions that are likely trivial, and please note that I'm cross-posting this question from Math.Stackexchange (posted nine days ago, one upvote, no comments or answers): http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/406247/understanding-the-definitions-of-lattice-packing-invariants

I hope this is appropriate.

I'm looking for definitions regarding the meaning of a few lattice packing constants, and internet searches haven't helped very much. Specifically, I'd like to know formal definitions for the two- and three-dimensional lattice packing constants: "thickness", "volume", and "center density" (definitions that appear, for example, with a WolframAlpha search for "A5 Lattice" http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=A5+lattice). I would guess here that "volume" refers to the volume of the lattice unit cell.

share|improve this question
Yes, volume is the volume of the fundamental domain (i.e. the lattice unit cell). Center density is the sphere packing density of the lattice divided by the volume of a unit ball. It's given by $r^n/V$ where $r = \min \Lambda /2$ is the radius of the sphere packing, and $V$ is the volume of the lattice. "Thickness" refers to the thickness of the lattice covering, i.e. the ratio $v R^n/V$, where $v$ is the volume of the unit ball, $R$ the covering radius, and $V$ is the lattice volume as above. –  Abhinav Kumar Jun 8 '13 at 13:07
@Abhinav Kumar I'd be happy to accept your comment as an answer. –  WilliamH Jun 8 '13 at 13:51
@Abhinav Kumar To make sure I understand, how is $\Lambda$ defined here? –  WilliamH Jun 8 '13 at 13:56
$\min \Lambda$ is the smallest distance between distinct vectors. –  S. Carnahan Jun 9 '13 at 2:19
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.