MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the proper terminology for a complex of sheaves $\mathcal F^\bullet$ whose homology sheaves $\mathcal H^i\mathcal F^\bullet$ vanish for $i\ne 0$?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

One can call it pure object.

share|cite|improve this answer

In the context of t-structures, it's not unreasonable to call this just a "sheaf". That is, in the natural t-structure on the derived category, the core is exactly the full subcategory of these things. In the perverse t-structure it is, by definition, the category of perverse sheaves. If one can say that a complex with vanishing positive and negative perverse cohomology is a "perverse sheaf" surely one can also say that a complex satisfying the vanishing of positive and negative cohomology is just a sheaf.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.