Take the 2-minute tour ×
MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm wondering if a compact set $A\subset\mathbb{C}$ satisfying the properties that

• $A$ and its complement have finitely many connected components

• every connected component of $\partial A$ is the image of a path (say piecewise analytic, or $C^1$)

has a standard name? I'm not sure "set with rectifiable boundary" qualifies, but maybe I'm mistaken. In any case I'm looking for a shorter term if at all possible.

Thank you in advance for any pointer/suggestion.

share|improve this question
How about just a "piecewise smooth set"? –  Lee Mosher May 16 '13 at 11:58
add comment

2 Answers

What about "set with piecewise smooth boundary"?

share|improve this answer
Alright, but I was looking for something shorter and "more catchy". It is a term I intend to use a lot in an article and therefore I would like to avoid cumbersome expressions as this one. Yet, if nothing better comes up I'll have to face the truth ;) –  Loïc Teyssier May 16 '13 at 10:11
You can define these sets at the beginning of your paper as "good sets", or "allowable sets", or even "regular sets", or something similar. I don't think there is a specific standard name in literature. –  Daniele Zuddas May 16 '13 at 10:14
Yeah, that's what I meant by "the truth" ... Something more poetic would have done, though! –  Loïc Teyssier May 16 '13 at 11:58
add comment
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I'll finaly settle for "a cutout compact set" for want of a better term. But I think this word expresses well the "finitely many" (connected components, non-smooth points) side of the object, which is what I wanted to highlight.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.