MathOverflow is a question and answer site for professional mathematicians. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This seems to be a french word that is used in English language mathematical papers. It seems to mean something like "unambiguous." What is its technical definition?

share|cite|improve this question
biunivoque is just French for bijective, as far as I know; I don't recall seeing it in English language papers. What example did you have in mind? – Yemon Choi Jan 26 '10 at 22:19
Caution: I've also seen "biunivoque" used for just "injective" (for example, Grothendieck's Produits tensoriels topologiques et espaces nucleaires). I've also seen "biunivocal" in English (Schaefer's Topological vector spaces, again used for "injective"). – Loop Space Jan 27 '10 at 9:58
@Andrew: I've also seen univoque used for partial functions; same difference but in the opposite direction. – François G. Dorais Jan 30 '10 at 19:20

Univoque means single-valued, as opposed to multi-valued (multivoque). As Yemon Choi explained, biunivoque means bijective (i.e. single-valued both ways).

share|cite|improve this answer
A French English dictionary gives 'univocal' as a translation. I presume the idea is 'with one voice' therefore as suggested 'unambiguous'. The specification of a function is in no two minds as to what image $f(x)$ to assign to $x$. That is a neat image. Thanks for the question. – Tim Porter Jan 27 '10 at 7:43

So a univoque map is just a function, as opposed to a multivoque map, a relation.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.